The key to getting rid of mites is to kill them faster than they can reproduce. And because the host and the environment are co-infested, both must be addressed at the same time.
Killing mites involves:
- Frequent and thorough cleaning of the body and the dwelling
- Use of pyrethrins and other pesticides on the dwelling
Lowering mites’ reproductive rate involves:
- Using growth hormones on the dwelling that prevent sexual maturation of mites
- Eliminating mite hiding places (such as carpeting in home and car)
- Maintaining a cool, dry environment (use of dehumidifiers is recommended)
Every situation is different and there is no exact timeline. Family support can speed up the process.